10 Fashion tips for a successful headshot session in San Francisco
We’ll help you select the best options for your professional headshot photography session.
Wear a look that matches the image you’re trying to convey with your professional headshots.
What you wear on a daily basis is a great place to start. Solid colors are always a good choice. Even though you’ll only be photographed from the shoulders up, it’s important to wear something tailored to preserve the overall look of the outfit.
If you are coming in for a corporate headshot session that is part of our employee/staff headshot program, we encourage you to wear a look that matches your company brand and includes layers. For instance, a cardigan or a jacket with a silk scarf, or jacket and a tie. This way we can photograph different combinations and have options to select from. Remember even switching a small piece of jewelry can make a big impact on the final look of an outfit.
- Select outfits that are classic and won’t look outdated in a few months.
- Wear a color that is contrasting and flattering to your skin tone. Darker or mid-tone colors tend to put more emphasis on your face and eyes.
- Avoid lighter colors that are like your skin tone because they tend to wash you out.
- Avoid bold plaids, and patterns like floral prints, checkers, polka dots, and stripes. These patterns can detract from your face and make the photo too busy.
- Choose jewelry to enhance and fine-tune your outfit. Jewelry adds a complementary accent to your outfit and draws attention to your face. If jewelry is not worn, your photo may look unfinished, plain and boring.
- The size of your earrings should be no less than the pupil of your eye. They should not be too bold, flash, or distract from your face.
- Choose outfits with modest necklines and sleeves. Too much skin can detract from your desired professional look.
- Choose a hairstyle that is flattering but natural.
- Makeup should be moderately applied.
- Make sure clothes are wrinkle-free and fit properly.